Meditation has been practiced for thousands of years and was originally meant to help deepen understanding of the sacred and mystical forces of life. These days, meditation is commonly used for relaxation and stress reduction.
Meditation is considered a type of mind-body complementary medicine. Meditation can produce a deep state of relaxation and a tranquil mind.
Meditation isn’t about becoming a different person, a new person, or even a better person. It’s about training in awareness and getting a healthy sense of perspective. You’re not trying to turn off your thoughts or feelings. You’re learning to observe them without judgment. And eventually, you may start to better understand them as well.
Meditation is, simple. Every time your mind begins to shift its spotlight away from your breath and you get lost in thought, you simply bring your attention back to your breath.
With practice over time, your focus, concentration, and attention span will improve.
There are 9 Popular Types of Meditation
One is right for everyone
- mindfulness meditation
- spiritual meditation
- focused meditation
- movement meditation
- mantra meditation
- transcendental meditation
- progressive relaxation
- loving-kindness meditation
What You Need
A Chair | A Cushion | A Bench | A Timer
- Something to sit on. There is such thing as standing meditation and walking meditation, but sitting meditation is the most common and the best place to start.
- How to sit. The biggest thing to remember is to keep your back straight.
- A timer. Since meditation is all about working out your “attention muscle”, having to check a clock would somewhat defeat the purpose of meditation, since it would constantly distract your attention away from your breath.